Wednesday 26 November 2008

Look at those old knees !

I came home from hospital today after 10 days and nights. I think I could have coped with publicity about my new knees, but how I was I to know that the cover photo of this month's NZ Wilderness magazine, ( Nov 08) has a photo of me and my old knees taken in the Kelley Range, Arthur's Pass. in 1993, by Colin Monteath. Yes that's me on the cover taken 15 years ago. Compare it with my new knees below taken this morning just before I left St. George's Hospital in Christchurch.

It is surgeon's like Ed Newman from Christchurch who has perfected these operations and dedicated nurses like Vic, above, who provide excellent after care, that makes it possible for broken-down mountaineers to regain quality of life.


Under those 11 inch strips of tape which hide the scars and my new triathlon knees, is my hope for the future. Stryker Orthopaedics, the maker of the Triathlon Knee System, the industry's fastest-growing total knee replacement system worldwide. is now able to produce the highest possible quality knees, but you need the surgeons who can do the job and are able to select the right knee to meet your individual vision. Mine is to play football with the boys, walk freely in the hills again, and climb a small peak or two, or three. I want the quality of life back again.
Thanks Ed Newman and team at St. Goerge's in Christchurch.
I am working hard on the rigorous recovery programme that requires 5 training sessions a day.
As I do this programme I am enjoying reading Steve Gurney's new book. Lucky Legs.
Perhaps my next book will be Lucky Knees.

2 comments:

Marja said...

Happy to see you well. I am sure you will out and about soon. You are a strong spirit and when the mind is strong the body will follow
Good luck and maybe I see you on the streets in CHCH

Bob McKerrow - Wayfarer said...

Thanks Marja. I am going to be in Ch Ch for 6 weeks s lets try and meet.

Thanks

Bob